Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bonnaroo: Can Hip Hop and Folk Be Friends




With one of the best music festivals in the world coming up in June I have just one question. Bonnaroo what has happened to you? I am not one to turn a shoulder to talent. I'll give credit where credit is due. Hip hop and rap have been driving forces in the music industry for decades now and have earned the right to be taken seriously. But does it belong at a Manchester, TN music festival that has its roots in the indie/folk scene?

Last year Noel Gallagher (of Oasis) raised some hell in reference to Jay-Z's invite. He had quite a number of people follow him on a tirade about hip-hop not belonging at Bonnaroo. And, though, I was inclined to agree with Mr. Gallagher, that hip hop didn't fit the festival's "image", I didn't feel the need to lead a boycott against that stage. However, you give the powers of the music industry an inch and they'll take every mile they can get their hands on. This year 'Roo is going full tilt rap. Its not one, not two, but this year's hip hop is getting a grand welcome at the festival with Eminem and Lil Wayne headlining along with several others in the lineup such as Atmosphere, Wiz Khalifa and Chiddy Bang. I think its safe to say that Bonnaroo is no longer the festival that it used to be. There will of course be some great acts that maintain the spirit of 'Roo like Arcade Fire, My Morning jacket, Robert Plant & Band of Joy, Mumford & Sons, The Strokes, The Decemberists, Ray Lamontagne, Iron and Wine... to name a few.

Rap might not belong at Bonnaroo but for all those complaining about the compromised integrity of the festival, myself included, I don't think we can deny that Bonnaroo still gets the best lineups around.

www.bonnaroo.com

No comments: