Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blender: Why Am I Just Now Discovering This

I have been trying to think of a good first post. I figured it needed to be a great ice-breaking topic but as I sat thinking of which thought to write about first I came to the conclusion that my best approach would be to jump right in as if I have been doing this blog all along. So...

For those of you who don't already know I am an artist. Graphic design is my "profession" and what I studied but I have recently opened the door to the world of 3-D modeling. Some might say it took you long enough, but I finally downloaded Blender (a great open source software for simple CG modeling and animation). Over the course of a few weeks I have obsessed over what the software is capable of. I have been modeling some basic low-poly models and it makes me wish I had chosen the gaming industry as my area of study. Here are a few models I have been working on over the past few weeks.

www.blender.org


This is a starship design currently in the works. On this project I was focusing on materials, texture and lighting.


Those who know me know that I am quite the Star Wars fan. So, modeling lightsabers is a must. The first two images are replicas from the films. The last one is a design of my own that I did for a friend.

From left to right: Luke Skywalker (ROTJ), Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jocasta Nu (modified), Luke Skywalker (TESB), Darth Vader


From left to right: Ki-Adi-Mundi, Kit Fisto, Adi Gallia, Jocasta Nu



If I am going to make lightsabers I might as well make a few guns as well. Here are a few models that are based on standard designs from the films with a few modifications.

Custom-Mod DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol


KYD-21 Blaster Pistol


Modified Nabooian Compact Blaster Pistol


Custom Jawa-Style Ion Rifle

I'll post some other Blender projects as I finish them.

No comments: