Sunday, May 29, 2011

Top Five: Books I'd Like To Write

I have often thought about writing a book. I have so many ideas in my head for stories. I am a big fan of fantasy, if it is done well, and I also enjoy historical fiction and biographical memoirs. Most of the stories/ideas I have in my head are loosely based on my own life experiences. So, if I were to write a book, which book would I write? That's the question: What are the top five books I would write?

I also realize I have very few, if any, people reading this blog so far but feel free to comment and respond the question yourself.

1.) The Lemon in the Grass - This would be an observation about people who are considered useless or defective by others or themselves. The image of a lemon, fallen from the tree, and in the grass is indicative of a person who is beyond redemption. As long as a useless person is still attached to the tree they have potential.

2.) Avant: The First Born - I have had this idea for some time (almost a decade). The genre rests somewhere between Tolkien and Lewis. The story is about a young boy growing up with expectations of his potential and position. He would be the one to join two nations together that had been at odds with one another for centuries.

3.) Common Sense for Dummies - This is pretty self explanatory. There are a lot of people out there that could benefit from a book that teaches them how to identify common sense. But then again, maybe its not something that can be taught. That's a sad thought.

4.) Roanoke - A work of fiction on the historical mystery of the disappearance of an entire settlement. I have always been interested in the mystery of their disappearance and have many ideas as to what could have happened based on the evidence that we have.

5.) Font - I love design and my favorite design tool to work with is type. Art and information achieve their greatest potential when they work in tandem with one another. But most people don't realize that what they are reading is art or the art they are admiring has information or a message within it. I would love to write a book about the value of type (font) in our modern culture. I'd also like to take a chapter to discuss how text-speak is damaging to this art and information.

Here are a few writing resources I have used if you get the urge to do some writing yourself.

www.bookwritinghelp.com

www.bookcatcher.com

www.thesaurus.com

No comments: